BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, 1 March 2011

A Dietary Addition: Hemp (Maaaan)

There’s been a lot to think about today. I’m officially a student again so my thesis needs to get written, meetings need to be arranged, assessment studies to plan and collect data for. It’s all go. I am feeling more on top of things though. My mindset has started to shift over the last few days and I’m feeling more in control, I’ll be drawing on this to help me through my studies. No screwing up like I did last time, I’m keeping it together. Thin and at the top of my game is the goal.
I had a killer gym session this morning. I was running late for the first time in ages and had a Job Centre meeting so I did my workout in breakneck time. It felt good if a little sweaty. I’m always surrounded by thinspiration at the gym. The fitness club is on the university campus so there are SO many thin girls! Seriously, it’s crazy! It was kind of funny watching them all on the treadmill in a line while I was doing some free weights. It was a very “on the outside looking in” scenario but one day I’ll be joining them.
I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about what to include (and exclude) in my diet. My Dad had a heart attack before Christmas which was the scariest event ever for everyone. It was very minor but Dad was only 50 with just a little middle age spread so it was a shock. He’s always been so active and eaten well but you can’t ditch you genes. He’s just one of those people that has high cholesterol and it turns out it’s prevalent in the family with both of his grandparents having died from heart disease. Apparently it’s quite common in Asian bloodlines and was most likely inherited from my Indian ancestors on my Grandfather’s side and Gypsy (a group that originated in Pakistan) on my Grandmother’s. You wouldn’t know looking at me though I’m obviously Caucasian but just a little more Amazonian as my partner calls it. Anyway, one of the things the doctors couldn’t stress enough was Omega 3 for a healthy, strong heart.
I’ll readily admit I’m back to avoid using oil in cooking like the plague. I only have balsamic vinegar on my salad, dry fry, grill and use water where others would add oil. This probably sounds all too familiar. My partner on the other hand has some Italian heritage and would preserve himself in olive oil if he could. Granted he doesn’t use as much as most but it’s still too much for me. I want to be able to choose the quantity and quality of the oils that go into my body. As my oils intake is so low and I’m vegetarian (bordering on vegan as I’m lactose intolerant and avoid animal products as a rule on sustainability grounds with the exception of honey) I’m probably Omega 3 deficient which isn’t a good thing considering that including it in your diet reduces the probability of having heart disease and cancer, helps with memory, mood, behaviour, arthritis, osteoporosis, hormone maintenance, energy levels and weight loss to name a few. The good news is you don’t necessarily have to go crazy with the oil, seeds and nuts. Omega 3 is found in leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables, not in high concentrations but it all soon adds up. Other sources are spirulina (a blue-green algae), walnuts, Brazil nuts, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, wheat germ, wheat germ oil, soybean oil and canola oil. I decided to buy some hemp seeds as well as the usual sunflower and pumpkin seeds. They’re surprisingly tasty but I only have a small teaspoon so it doesn’t up the calories too much. I think I’ll alternate with sunflower and pumpkin one day and hemp the next.
Peace love and happiness to all of you butterfly beauties.

0 comments: